201603.24
0

Las Vegas Man Claiming Compensation for Burns from an E-Cigarette Battery

A Las Vegas man is claiming compensation for burns from an e-cigarette battery that exploded in his trouser pocket, leaving him hospitalized for two days.

Daniel King (22), a slot technician from Las Vegas, was writing up notes in his car on February 8 2016, when he heard a loud “air-releasing noise”. The next second, the battery for his vaping device – that was placed in his left trouser pocket – caught fire and burned Daniel from his hip down to his calf.

Daniel was taken to the University Medical Center of Southern Nevada, where he received treatment for second and third degree burns on his leg, and a further burn on his hand from trying to extinguish the fire. He was kept in hospital for two days and continues to receive outpatient treatment at the hospital´s burns unit. Six weeks after the incident, Daniel is still unable to sleep on his left side.

Having sought legal advice, Daniel is claiming compensation for burns from an e-cigarette battery from the battery manufacturer and the vape shop at which it was purchased. He alleges that the manufacturer is aware of the risk of lithium ion batteries catching fight, yet the batteries contain no warnings nor safety instructions.

Lawyers supporting Daniel believe that his claim for compensation for burns from an e-cigarette battery has a solid chance of success. They claim that the batteries are not fit for purpose and point to the FAA´s endorsement of a ban on in-flight e-cigarette batteries which are known to have been responsible for several fires.

The claim for compensation for burns from an e-cigarette battery is also being supported by Daniel´s mother, Jane. She spoke with the Las Vegas Review Journal and said that the ordeal was devastating for her son. Jane explained that, after Daniel had been discharged from hospital, he spent a further three weeks recovering at home before he was able to work again.